Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I think I am finally ready to do this...

Very soon I will be paring down my online profile to the basics. As I see them.

I will cease posting to all my Tumblr blogs.

Tumblr is, in many ways, pretty awesome. But I've realized I just don't need it. I've kind of grown past the dashboard culture that develops there. It's no longer a thing I want to do. In a way, I can say it's me, Tumblr, not you.

I have left any Wordpress blogs I've established in the past alone. That may remain the same, though I admittedly like Wordpress a lot in some ways.

And most dramatically--cue the music--I will be deleting my Facebook account.

This was a surprisingly difficult decision. I communicate with so many people through Facebook, friends and family. But I no longer have anything remotely resembling trust for the site's security or its motives. I'm also spooked by just how insidious Facebook is, insinuating itself on so much of the online experience. So ultimately, I reject Facebook.

My plan for my online presence:

  • This blog. Look, there's actually a feeling out there that Blogger is for old people, but it's a very good blogging platform. I own my own name in the subdomain here. So fuck it, I'm using it. 
  • Google+. I joke about G+. I'll probably joke more about it. Some things don't work as well as Google wants them to. But I'm just gonna give it a shot. Once again, fuck it.
  • Twitter. I unabashedly like Twitter. It's fun. And I've sort of established a presence there. Twitter is like the hub around which this longer-form stuff rotates. 
  • App-wise, I will remain on Instagram, which I also shamelessly enjoy.
That's it. One blog. One purely social profile that can be used in a highly personalized way--Google+. One microblogging platform--Twitter. And Instagram.

I won't reject other social media out of hand and do have lesser things I use now and then, but those four things will be my basic online presence outside my professional work. 

And I'll probably forget all this by Saturday and be like, whatever. O, Internet.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Internet declarations. I'm glad I know you on Twitter. More social media platforms = more time spent juggling things that are not real, and I shudder to think of all the park bench conversations with strangers I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, about the juggling. I'm finally tired of a lot of it and ready to dial back to a few basic things.

      Delete

Don't be a jackass.