Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Don't call it a crime blog

Last night I decided to do more news/crime blogging to stay sharp. A Twitter friend with sterling opinions on this kind of thing, Anthony De Rosa, recommended I simply use my name, not create a new space.

I like Blogger as a writing space; the casual feel of Tumblr has never seemed quite right to me for anything longer than 500 words. I also decided some time ago that most of what someone might call 'personal' blogging kind of bores me. Which is not to say I won't write about health and fitness issues anymore, or even say something personal--I consider this space ripe for whatever I want to put here. I'm just more interested as a writer in news stories, right now (and good fiction--but that's a separate thing).

Years ago I established myself mostly covering crime and recently it hit me that even though I'd backed away from intense coverage of various crime stories in the news, I think about them as much as I ever did. Also, I don't have any kind of regular blogging 'gig' right now, as I had covering a variety of subjects for the New York Observer for the last year or so. So I need to stay frosty, I guess.

A mistake I've made before is giving in to what I think readers want or what might give me a big traffic bump. With a new direction in what I post here I am going to avoid that as much as possible and only write about what interests me, when I want to write it.

So here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be a jackass.